Monday, September 3, 2012

Essays

Essay #1 

Arete has many different definitions. To me, arete is reaching the highest human potential. You can demonstrate arete during school, sports or anything as long as you think you are doing your very best. Socrates was a man who fought for what he believed and even developed his own method. He challenged the minds of others by having them explain themselves and not have them give him one word answers. Socrates was a very intelligent man he probably had many people's mind racing with thoughts. Being the best person you could be in this day and age will get you very far and very successful. People may not realize this but, Socrates has really taught many and made a difference in the lives of others. 


Essay #2

I walked into the grocery store on a hot summer day and I looked to my left and there was Socrates and Elbert Hubbard. I was in awe to see the man who changed the meaning of philosophy. But I didn't want to say anything so I kept walking. As I walked down the aisles to find some Popsicle's  I thought to myself "What would have happened if I stopped and said hi to them?" But that thought quickly left my mind. As I was on my way to the cash register. I looked behind me and of course Socrates and Mr.Elbert Hubbard were standing right there. I kept doing what I was doing. It was my turn to pay for my groceries. Being very polite I said "hello" to the cashier. The cashier was very rude and said nothing back to me....not even a "hello how are you?" I didn't let it bother me. I gave the cashier my money and I felt like she snatched it and threw it back at me. I was appalled. If Socrates ever lived during 2012 he would be very disappointed. He would think we are lazy and rude. Socrates was a kind of man who explained himself and always got the job done. He would probably had said something to the the cashier. Today, Americans like to go the easy route and just want to get things done and not have a care in the world. If Socrates lived in the year 2012 things would definitely be a lot different.    


Essay #3 

Just thinking that after this year I am almost done high school is a very big deal. Being a Sophomore, I have a lot to juggle. Between the homework and studying I need to be able to have a plan on how I am going to succeed. The first thing I am going to have to do is turn in my homework on time because in high school homework is a big deal. Not turning in your homework can be very detrimental to you grade. Homework is a very big part of your grade and can add up to being a big portion of your grade. The second thing I must do is study for tests. Not studying can also hurt you as well as not turning in homework. Thirdly, I am going to make sure to ask tons of questions. Asking questions is a good thing because it helps you better understand what is going on. The fourth thing I will make sure to do is,  look at assignments online. The reason being is because we use our computers all the time and teachers post assignments online if they do not get a chance to tell us during class. The last and final thing I want to do is make tons of friends and have fun. But, having fun when it is the right time and also know when to be serious. Having an action plan can really help you get through high school and can help you with your future. 

1 comment:

  1. #1: 23/25 (A). I like where you went with this, Danielle. This is a good description of who Socrates was.

    #2: 21/25 (B). This essay had such a good, creative start. But you never really developed the idea! A real conversation between you, Hubbard, Socrates, and a rude cashier would have been priceless.

    #3: 25/25 (A+). This is a great plan. Being a little older, you probably see the value of this more than the freshies. You'll might even end up being a pretty good example for them, whether you like it or not!

    ReplyDelete